Stair Lifts / Wheelchair Lifts
What Is a Stairlift?
A Stairlift is a mechanical device that is installed on a staircase. It is used to assist people with mobility problems to climb stairs safely.
Residential stairlifts typically consist of a chair or platform that is attached to a track. The track is mounted on the staircase and the chair or platform moves along the track.
A wheelchair lift, on the other hand, is a type of stairlift that is designed for people who use wheelchairs. Wheelchair lifts typically have a platform that the wheelchair can roll onto. The platform then raises the wheelchair and its occupant to the next level.
Types of Residential Stair lifts / Wheelchair Lifts
Stairlifts and wheelchair lifts come in different types to meet the specific needs of users, but they can be categorized into 2 main types:
- Straight Stair lifts: As the name suggests, straight Stairlifts are designed for use on straight staircases.
- Curved Stair lifts: A curved Stairlift is designed for use on staircases that have turns or curves. They are more expensive than straight Stairlifts because they require custom tracks.
The type of stairlift / wheelchair lift that you need will depend on several factors, including the type of staircase in your home and the needs of the user.
In addition, some of the most popular types of stairlifts / wheelchair lifts include:
- Indoor Stair lifts: These are designed for use in homes and other indoor spaces. Indoor Stairlifts typically have a track that is mounted on the wall or staircase.
- Outdoor Stair lifts: These are designed for use in outdoor areas, such as on a porch or deck. Outdoor Stairlifts usually have a track that is mounted on the ground.
- Portable Stair lifts: These are designed to be easily installed and removed. They typically have a track that is mounted on the stairs.
- Wheelchair lifts: As the name suggests, wheelchair lifts are designed for wheelchair users and are commonly installed in an assisted living facility. Wheelchair lifts typically have a platform that the wheelchair can roll onto. The platform then raises the wheelchair and its occupant to the next level.
- Vertical platform lifts: These are designed for use in homes and other indoor spaces. Vertical platform lifts typically have a platform that raises and lowers people or wheelchairs.
What Are the Common Stair lift / Wheelchair Lifts Features?
Some of the common features that you will find in stairlifts / wheelchair lifts include:
Seat or chair
This is where the user sits while using the Stairlift. For wheelchair lifts, the seat can be replaced as a provision for a wheelchair.
Most models feature an adjustable seat height to ensure a comfortable ride. Some models also have manual swivel seats to make it easier for the user to get on and off the Stairlift.
Stairlift chairs can also be an offset swivel seat or a power swivel seat, which can be rotated up to 90 degrees. This is a great feature for users who have difficulty getting on and off the chair.
A seat belt is a safety feature that helps to keep the user in the seat while the Stairlift is in use. In addition to a seat belt, some models also feature a safety key that must be inserted into the Stairlift before it can be used.
Armrests provide support and stability for the user while using the Stairlift. They can also be used to help the user get in and out of the Stairlift chair.
A footrest is a platform that the user’s feet rest on while using the Stairlift. Some models have a folding footrest, which helps to save space when the Stairlift is not in use. Other Stairlift models have a power folding footrest, which allows the user to raise and lower the footrest with the push of a button.
This allows the user to operate the Stairlift from a distance. Some Stairlift models also feature a key switch, which prevents unauthorized use of the Stairlift.
Belt or chain drive
This is what powers the Stairlift. Belt drives are quieter than chain drives, but they are also more expensive.
This is what the Stairlift chair rides on. For indoor Stairlifts, the rail is typically mounted on the wall or staircase. For outdoor Stairlifts, the rail is usually mounted on the ground.
Some Stairlift models have a single rail system, while others have a dual rail system. Dual rail systems are more expensive, but they are also more durable and have a longer lifespan.
Other Stairlift models feature a power folding rail, which allows the user to fold the rail up when not in use. Folding rails also help save space and prevent falls.
Stair treads are the pieces of the Stairlift that grip the stairs. They help to keep the Stairlift from slipping and provide a smoother ride.
Some models have rubber treads, while others have metal treads. Rubber treads are more expensive, but they last longer and provide a smoother ride.
Support Every Step of the Way
If you’re looking for a reputable Stairlift manufacturer and installer, look no further than Ascend.
Our knowledgeable team is here to help you every step of the way, from finding the perfect Stairlift for your home to providing expert installation services. We also have a variety of models to choose from so that you can choose the best Stairlift for your unique needs.
We’re among the most trusted Stairlift companies, providing various afforadble residential elevator solutions in Fort Worth TX, and surrounding areas.
Contact us today to learn more about our Stairlift products and other residential elevators!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an alternative to a Stairlift?
If you have difficulty using stairs, there are a few different options that you can choose from. One option is to install a Stairlift in your home. Another option is to use a wheelchair lift.
If you have the budget for it, you can also consider installing residential elevators instead. This will provide easier access for you and your family, and it will also increase the value of your home.
How much do Stairlift systems cost?
Stairlift prices depend on a few different factors, such as the type of lift, the size of the unit, the weight capacity needed, and the features that you choose.
To give you an idea, a basic Stairlift system can start at around $1,500. However, if you want a more luxurious or customized model, you could be looking at a cost of $5,000 or more.
What safety features should I look for in a residential Stair lift?
Safety is a priority when it comes to Stairlifts. At the very least, your chosen Stairlift model should have the following safety features:
- An emergency stop button: This allows the user to stop the Stairlift in an emergency.
- Safety sensor: This helps to prevent the Stairlift from running into obstacles.
- Battery backup: This allows the Stairlift to continue operating in the event of a power outage.
What is an inclined platform lift?
An inclined platform lift is a type of Stairlift that is designed for people who use wheelchairs. This type of lift is similar to a regular Stairlift, but it has a larger platform that can accommodate a wheelchair.
Inclined platform lifts are typically more expensive than regular Stairlifts, but they offer more flexibility and freedom for people with mobility impairments.
What kind of Stair lift is best for me?
The best Stairlift for you depends on your individual needs. If you have a disability or mobility impairment, you may want to consider an inclined platform lift.
If you’re looking for a Stairlift that is more affordable, a regular Stairlift may be a better option for you.
You should also consider the type of stairs that are available in your home. If you have a straight staircase, a straight Stairlift is ideal. If you have a curved staircase, on the other hand, consider curved Stairlifts instead.
How long does Stair lift installation take?
Stairlift installation usually takes about two hours. However, the length of time may vary depending on the complexity of your staircase and the type of Stairlift that you choose.
If you’re having a curved Stairlift installed, for example, it may take longer than if you were having a straight Stairlift installed.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is a Stairlift?
- 2 Types of Residential Stair lifts / Wheelchair Lifts
- 3 What Are the Common Stair lift / Wheelchair Lifts Features?
- 4 Support Every Step of the Way
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions